Our consultation sought views on the implementation of the levy on the following themes;
- Paying the levy. This section of the consultation sought views on how the size of firms paying the levy should be calculated, our proposal to collect the levy via PAYE, whether money collected from larger firms paying the levy should be used to support smaller firms and whether firms paying the levy should be able to direct some of their funding to those that don’t.
- Employers operating across the UK. This section of the consultation set out that the levy will be UK wide and sought views on how the England operations of employers across the UK could be identified.
- Allowing employers to get back more than they put in. This section set out our proposal that employers who pay the levy should have the opportunity to get out more than they put in. It sought views on how this should work and what controls should be put in place.
- The levy is fair. This section set out our proposal that employers should control the purchasing decisions in the system. It sought views on what controls might be needed to ensure that the use of funds within the system was fair.
- Giving employers real control. This section set out our proposed model for a digital apprenticeship service. It sought views on what financial and quality assurance should be built into the system.
- The levy is simple. In this section we set out how the system currently supports employers of younger apprentices and sought views as to how we could support employers of younger apprentices within the levy system. We also set out our position that the levy should pay for the direct costs of apprenticeship training and assessment, and sought views on whether this was the right approach.